entered service with British Rail (BR) in July 1961 and named at Doncaster after the 1949 winner of the Ascot Gold Cup. Like 55015 Tulyar
, it became a member of the legendary Finsbury Park depot of Deltics named after famous racehorses until its closure. It was renumbered from D9009 in January 1974 and was the last Deltic to record two million miles before individual mileage records for the Deltic fleet were abandoned.
55009 worked its last train on 2nd January 1982, hauling the Peterborough-Newcastle service. It was then the designated stand-by locomotive for the Deltic Scotsman Farewell
railtour that day but was not used. The locomotive was withdrawn the same day due to it being surplus to requirements, thereby becoming one of the final four Deltics to be withdrawn after over 20 years of active service.
After withdrawal, 55009 was purchased for preservation in the same year by The Deltic Preservation Society
(DPS) and moved to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway
where it entered traffic almost immediately. In 1990 the locomotive left the line for a major overhaul which lasted several years and finally emerged in 1998.
In 1999, 55009 obtained its mainline certificate and was subsequently used on several railtours over the following few years. After an appearance at Railfest 2004
, the locomotive spent a period of time on display at the National Railway Museum in York before returning to its depot at Barrow Hill in late 2005. More recently it has spent time at both the North Yorkshire Moors Railway and Nene Valley Railway
for running seasons, returning to its depot for the winter months.
© 2018 English Electric Archive